Sunday, May 30, 2010

Captain Underpants

Some stories require their own blog and this is one of them. Without a doubt one of the most memorable moments of Spring 2010 (semester) was the story that I am calling "Captain Underpants". As a graduate teaching fellow at the University of Utah I have the opportunity of teaching classes for undergraduates in the Department of Communication. Spring semester blessed me with the particular opportunity to teach at 7:30am.

With a teaching assignment this early it meant that I often traveled from home to classroom without seeing other humans on the way. During the second week of class--I repeat: SECOND WEEK--I was teaching my students about something that required me to write on the board in lengthy statements.

Although I didn't know my students very well at this point I was surprised at their snarky behavior that Friday in the classroom. They were avoiding eye contact with me and whispering to each other behind my back. I couldn't help but worry that it was going to be a rough semester!

Class finally ended and a timid student approached me.

"Um, Kathy?" she asked.

"Yeah, what's up?" I smiled, ready to change the future for any student willing to give me the time of day.

"Um, I think... that... um... that... I think that... you might... um... I think you have a hole in your pants", she stammered.

Immediately my first reaction was to reach my hand behind me and feel the seat of my pants to gauge the size of this hole. To my horror and great delight my student was in fact very wrong. I did NOT have a hole in my pants, but rather had a GAPING CHASM running from top pocket to bottom. A total of four inches of ripped jeans gaped open to reveal my bottom, underwear and all. As I have since told my advisor, at least I'm willing to BARE ALL in class.

Leaving class I immediately texted Becca as well as my cohort buddies to let them know about my teaching debacle. Each reaction was the same and went something like this:

"It can't be THAT bad".

To that reaction, one that I'm sure you're probably sharing, I post this evidence:


So, yes... it WAS "THAT BAD!"

Being a Friday I had two more classes to teach. Becca was running errands and I couldn't get to my car in time to change into gym clothes. So as not to sexually harass the student body of the University of Utah I chose to go with the 7th grade "period sweatshirt wrap around the waist" move that was so often utilized in junior high. (Ladies, you know the one I'm speaking about!!)

As for Monday, when 7:30am rolled around again I started the class off with a powerpoint they will never forget. With Becca's help we put together a slideshow of celebrities who are constantly baring too much: Lady GaGa, the Naked Cowboy in Times Square, Richard Simmons, Tom Cruise in "Risky Business", etc. Then I simply asked the class, "What do all these people have in common?" Answer: They all lack a community of caring people who will kindly tell them:

"HEY YOU! YOUR UNDERPANTS ARE SHOWING!!!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment