Sunday, June 13, 2010

Becca's 21st--- The fun has ARRIVED!


Unless you have been living under a rock you have heard the continual countdown updates surrounding the big 2-1. From the day she turned 18 she has been all but creating a paper-linked chain leading her toward legality. In the last year the countdown has been especially strong- months, then weeks, then days, then hours. Literally. As usual, mercy prevails, and June 12, 2010 finally rolled around...

Unbeknownst to Becca I have spent the last few months of the countdown building a little anticipation of my own as I conspired with her family, friends, and even the server at The Bayou to pull off what would be the ultimate surprise birthday weekend, including a surprise party with the people she loves. Although it turned me into a bit of a liar for a good few months--pretending to be a work so I could decorate, pretending I hadn't made plans because I was to busy with work, pretending... well you get the picture-- I believe that it was totally worth it because this weekend was ultimately total surprise and total FUN!

Friday night I told Becca we should eat out downtown to get out of the house. We drove downtown and parked near the Olive Garden. She thought we were headed for a little "Hospitaliano" for dinner so she was surprised and perhaps a bit weirded out when I pulled an overnight bag out of the trunk after parking. "Ugh, babe? Where are we GOING?!" Becca has always wanted to stay at the Hotel Monacco downtown, so why not start the birthday weekend off right?! Dinner at the OG, some new books from Barnes and Noble, and watching television... it was truly like being on vacation!








$90.00 for this robe... chump change!

Becca was so surprised and really loved the stay at Monacco. It is a beautiful hotel with excellent customer service and fun, boutique style rooms. Little did she know, however, that the surprises had just begun! On Saturday morning we went home to check on Ellie, did a quick cleaning blitz on the apartment, and Becca went off with her mom for a little mother-daughter date for her birthday. Becca thought I'd be working some extra hours while they were gone-- little did she know that Kristie and I were in cahoots! I emailed Becca's mom several months ago with my idea for a surprise party and asked if she could distract Becca the day of her birthday. That turned in a great op. for the two of them to hang out while I went with my sister, Krysten, to shop, decorate, and set up the clubhouse for the surprise party that evening. I am sneaky as a ninja and she had no idea!

Texting people directions from the bathroom at The Bayou. My face was red hot-- the pressure was on!!! Surprise party in T-minus 30 minutes...


During dinner at the Bayou I pretended (see, pretending again) to take several phone calls from my dad (really it was Krys) who urgently needed us at the clubhouse because we'd broken something for Krysten's shower the weeks before. The story relayed to Becca was that there was a group using the clubhouse and the property management wanted us there to figure out what happened. With my thin alibi's lined up and a very, very upset birthday girl on my hands we trekked out to Sugarhouse to "check on the clubhouse". Krysten was holding down the fort there and had everyone lined up and ready for Becca to walk through the clubhouse door.

"SURPRISE!!!!" My family, Becca's family, and lots and lots of friends greeted her in unison and the look on her face? PRICELESS. We mingled, had cake, and enjoyed our time with the people we love. The after party at Liquid Joe's helped us dance the night away and when all is said and done the experts agree: The big 2-1 went down exactly as it should have.








HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LOVE!
I hope it lived up to every bit of your expectations and met the mark of the countdown!

2 comments: